About Me

I was using this as my bloging platform but I have since moved on to my own domain and wordpress site at http://www.warriorfitness808.com

06 December 2008

Pacific Islander Showdown II

This is actually an old post from my myspace Blog.

The big day finally arrives, weve been training for this since we came back from the gathering in June (well I could have trained better) but every Saturday in the park we trained specifically for the Pacific Island Showdown. I don't have too much to report but hopefully when the event shows up on Olelo I can record it on my PC and then split it up into clips and put it on youtube.

To tell you the truth this is actually my first tournament and I was really nervous about the whole event. Fighting at the gathering is a totally different thing, its not a competition it's about testing yourself well at least for me. I'm not saying it is better than the tournament you can test your conditioning and competiveness at a tournament but you are judged and that makes me uneasy, lol.

So anyway I wake up feeling excited and ready to go early Saturday morning. The only troubling thoughts were due to my Jeep making some funny sounds starting the night before. I popped the hood checked the serpentine belt, "felt tight." Looked over everything and couldn't find the source so I figured I would work on the car another day and concentrate on the tournament. So about a block away from the FILCOM the car makes a shrrrrak sound, I was like wtf?? Then I noticed the steering was hard to turn and then I knew what the problem was it was the serpetine belt, luckily I was only a block away. So I pull into the parking lot park the car, pop the hood and see that the belt was shredded. Part of me was relieved because I knew it was something simple and easy fixable.

After looking under the hood I met up with the guys made my rounds of speaking with DogZilla, Peregrine, Joe, Mark, Professor Lee from the Tobosa System and others then made my way to weigh in. Im not even going to tell you what I weigh, lol. :P After figuring out when everything was going to I called my girl and mother of Tai (yep the name changed) to come to the FILCOM center right after her appt with the doctor so I can head to the auto parts store and run some errands so I can get back and relax. After all the running around I get back to the car and get ready to put on the belt when I noticed that something else was wrong. The pulley is what actually broke, I was like WTF (again) but again the problem was fixable, luckily there was a NAPA right down the street they had the part and it was on sale. YAY! I finally get the car fixed and dont have to worry about anything but competing.

I bet you thought I would have more information about the tournament didnt you?? LOL.

I get in and watch the some of the Solo Baston competition, those guys are quick and agile. Eventually the time comes for the "Live Stick" which the event is before "Live stick Ultimate Warrior." The difference between the two is with "Live stick Ultimate Warrior" you can punch, kick, knee but there are some rules, it's kinda like a Dog Brother gathering but with certain limitations, Im not complaining. It was a lot of fun! So before the end of the Solo Baston (padded stick) I headed back to the staging area to relax and get into the mood. If you read some of my earlier blogs you read that I didn't really watch the fight at the gathering and I didnt really didnt watch the fights prior to my match, I watched bits and pieces but I just went in the back and did my own thing while helping Joe (another one of the Hawaiian Dog Brother Clan) get ready for his match, he ended up taking first. Eventually it came to our turn, Peregrine decided to step up to another weight class and we now had 3 people fighting in the heavy weight division of the "Live stick Ultimate Warrior." Originally it was just DogZilla and me in the heavyweight division. As we were waiting out turn, DogZilla and I joked about how we just paid alot of money to fight each other - we do that every Saturday in the park, FOR FREE! lol. Either way I figure it is good and we wanted to support Hawaii FMA and hopefully we introduced the Hawaiian Clan of the Dog Brothers to some people who never really knew about us.

Finally our turn arrives, before our we pulled card on of us would have a "by" we debated who would take the by, I was nervous about the whole thing and figured I would lose so I fought Peregrine first, we call Peregrine the machine because the guy never runs out of energy, he's like the freakin energizer bunny.

They call our names, Peregrine and I step out onto the mats and it's time to begin. Master Ty was the ref, he went through the usual, obey my commands and keep it "clean." We bow to the judges, bow to the ref, bow to each other and then it was time to rock and roll. Peregrine and I circle and we start swinging, we maintained good distance and threw down for two solid minutes. Then it was time for the second round, again we showed good technique, punched, kicked and beat each other for another two solid minute, no clinch no ref to stop the fight. At the end of the match they read the scores, and to my suprise - I WON. Yeah I was really surprised but I still had to fight DogZilla. DogZilla people!!! Do you know who that is?? One of the orginal Dog Brothers man! If you dont know then go to www.dogbrothers.com and look for the clip "Dogzilla's first day"

Luckily I didnt have to fight back to back because I was freaken tired, let me rephrase that I was "MOTHERFREAKIN TIRED," Keoni from the Pedoy School of Derobio had to fight his last fight and he kicked ass people!!

So now it was our time to fight, still tired and legs of lead I trodded out there and gave the rest of my energy to the match with DogZilla. I got hit pretty good with DogZilla but I landed some good hits, kicks and punches. Ultimately I didn't have enough energy to win the match. In the end it was a good fight, I suprised alot of people but to me it was just another Saturday of Stick fighting but with judges.

It was great tournament, it was awesome to meet everybody and I look forward to next years and Im going to prepare for next years much better and I may even try a carrenza or I might get a wild hair and try all the events! Now that would be something!

Last but not least congrats to Maestro Keoni from the Pedoy School of Escrima, he won the "Ultimate Warrior" which is quite an accomplishment it consists of taking first in all events Carenza, Solo Baston, Live Stick and Ultimate Warrior Live Stick. Thats a lot of fighting people! He kicked some major butt. All the competitors gave it their all and made the event a lot of fun.

Thanks to all who attended, Ill see you guys next saturday at the park

A clip from one of my matches.

Match 1


No comments: